Friday, October 11, 2013

The day I had surgery

The surgical procedures had long drawn out names - laparascopy, lysis of adhesion's,  hysteroscopic resection of uterine septum - but it was a fairly straightforward operation.

Laparascopy and lysis of adhesion's: the RE punctured two small holes into my abdomen. The first was through my belly button so that a scope (read: tiny video camera) could be inserted and used to visualize the work she was doing. The second was closer to my groin/pubic region and was for the instrument used to lyse (read:burn) off the two spots of endometriosis she found.  I was also informed that she discovered some of my intestine sticking to the wall of my abdomen and was able to free it and return it to its proper place. 

Hysteroscopic resection of uterine septum: this was the more important of the two procedures. Here, the RE went up my lady bits and through my cervix to access my uterus. Using another scope, the RE confirmed 100% that I did, indeed, have a septum. A second instrument was used to burn off the fibrous septum tissue. From the pictures I was given, it looks like a tiny, hot, metal bar. The RE told me, once I was awake again, that my septum was quite large.  It was actually pushing the openings of my fallopian tubes, called os, apart. In a normal uterus, the os are facing one another and touching. She also confirmed, as my mom tells it, that I very likely lost my first baby because it implanted on the septum and couldn't grow. There was almost no room for it to have implanted on healthy tissue, such was the size of my septum (and my bad luck). 

Recovery: The first thing I remember is waking up feeling like I was choking for a breath and hearing some far away voices discuss whether it was time to take the breathing tube out. I fell back to sleep before they made any decision. Then, I woke up again in the recovery room, very much not able to verbalize my thoughts or really open my eyes except for moans and briefly flickering my eye lids. Instead of just relaxing and letting the anesthesia wear away pleasantly, I stubbornly fought against it, trying to will myself to be completely awake. Once I was awake, I battled with extreme nausea before throwing up and accepting the IM phenergan shot the nurse was offering (actually, when I finally vomited, the nurse told me she was making the decision of the phenergan shot for me, and I LOVE her for it because that sucker kicked in once I was in the car and knocked me out). Before I was allowed to leave, though, I had to prove that I could walk and pee. In between the nausea and vomiting, I shuffled to the bathroom and peed the most painful pee of my life...it felt like razor blades, no joke. Also, it was blue from the dye they used during surgery, which was fun to see. 


I am forever in praise and thankful to God for guiding the hands of my RE as she was able to successfully and completely remove my septum without complication; for a mom who stuck by my side all day, and for a husband that welcomed me home with sweet kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment